Forums > General > Patchesmodsaddons > BigWigs vs DBM

BigWigs vs DBM

Topic List
8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Telalya

I was a total DBM snob the entire time I played WoW. Never even considered trying BigWigs because I told myself that surely they are both the same basic thing, one is just as good as the other, and I certainly don't need to switch.

I read the article below and it has changed my mind. It sounds like BW is a lot more sophisticated than DBM and would probably have helped me not die in a fire as much.

The blog also shows some setup screenshots to give you an idea of how to do the neat stuff - that may be what I found most interesting.

Happy raiding, all!

http://murlocparliament.com/2011/04/05/bigwigs-helps-you-get-out-of-the-fire/

Edited by: Pyro on 06/12/2011 - 12:00
Officer
Yelizaveta
Officer

Okay, but does BigWigs say "Run away little girl" in that eerie voice?

AdministratorHigh CouncilOfficer
Aeth
High Council

Nope, no Sinistar voice clips, but it does play the Final Fantasy victory music when you kill a boss. :)

Officer
Roenn
Officer Emeritus

I need to switch then Aeth! You can't beat FF victory music!

Officer
Yelizaveta
Officer

I tried to switch to BigWigs from DBM. I can't do it.

I believe it has to do with the way I process. BW seems more about visual clues, whereas DBM is more about audio clues. I am already overwhelmed visually by Wow, so the audio clues of DBM are more helpful, and the additional visual clues of BW confuse me. A tiny ping and big letters across the screen is less effective for me than "Run away little girl" and a small message.

I probably could make adjustments in BW for the display and sound, but it might be a case of "old dog, new tricks". I truly like the sounds in DBM, and the BW sounds just annoy me.

Sarran
High Council

Pretty sure you can customize more to your liking with sounds and such. I like how it can do screen shake and/or flash for super emphasis.

High CouncilOfficer
nashal
Officer Emeritus

For every boss ability, in the BW bosses options, if you clic on the arrow, you have an option at the bottom (i think it is called Emphasize). By activating that option, it gives you a speech countdown (5 secs.) before the boss does the ability.

And it flashes and shakes your screen too.

Aeth
High Council

Probably my favorite BigWigs feature, especially during LK, was the super-emphasize, which you can toggle on for any individual boss mechanic. If it's a timed effect, it will actually give you a voice countdown for the 5 seconds before the effect is due to trigger. For Defile, it was, literally, a life-saver, amongst all the other chaos.

EDIT: What Nash said. :)

Topic locked