Dispatch

Topic List
6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dominae

So this is probably going to be directed more at Aeth and Honesty.

After looking over last night's parses, it seems to me that my largest DPS issue is not switching to dispatch at 35%. I knew that I was having trouble with this before, I just didnt realize how much of a negative impact it would have on my damage.

The problem is that Its hard for me to see when the target gets to 35%. I have switched the interface to display percents, but its still hard to track. I have my UI set up to where my rogue power bars are to the left of my toon, and my combo point redux is to the right, but the targets health is so small in comparison. I looked last night to see if there was some sort of dispatch reminder on curse.com but I couldnt see one, and it seems a bit extreme to run a heavy unit frame add on like Xperl just so I can make the target's health bar larger.

So is there any way that anyone knows of to just get a visual reminder when my target gets to 35%?

Also, I have tricks on a macro 

• #showtooltip
  • /cast [@mouseover, help] [@focus, help] [@targettarget, help] Tricks of the Trade

On Icy veins it says this will cast it at my mouse over target or my focus, but it seems to do neither.

Finally, I was just wondering Aeth if you pop shadow reflection at the beginning or end of a boss fight? It seems like it could be situation dependent, but I was wondering if there was a general rule to it. I couldn't peice one together from Icyveins.

It's very likely that there are other problems with my dps that I don't see, so if anyone has the time to look over the log I would really appreciate it.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/j2g1glwvguvsqs7u/details/48/

Thanks everyone for the input!

Edited by: Anonymous on 02/09/2015 - 06:31 Reason: Topic automatically locked
AdministratorHigh CouncilOfficer
Honesty
High Council

I would also take a look at the warcraft logs report:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/zhMcXF7GRy6CNtKZ#type=damage-done&by=source&sourceclass=Rogue

I like that it puts in the ilvl of the person on the chart.  I believe that the ilvl is determined when I post the parse, so it could be inaccurate at the time of the fight, but it should be close.  You can see you're 13 ilvls behind Aeth (who is the same spec you are), which is about a tier (they changed tiers to be 15 item levels rather than 13 because...reasons).

I think you did identify the main reason for the dps difference, Aeth has more dispatches than you do, 59 vs 21.  I can see one other thing:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/zhMcXF7GRy6CNtKZ#type=damage-done&source=62.1

I believe you have shadow reflection slotted, and this is the damage from one use of it.  There is a second use in the log, but the reflection did no damage.  I think you're supposed to macro SR with vendetta, I see you use vendetta twice but I don't see any damage from the second shadow reflection.  Any idea what happened there?  (You can also see Aeth only used vendetta once, tsk, tsk.)  The biggest improvement for most dps classes comes from using their cooldowns as frequently as they can.  I'm a combat rogue, so the CD's to look for are Adrenaline Rush and Killing Spree...and on this fight I was worried about where KS would put me, so I only used it on the sons phase.  (You can see what a boost blade flurry and KS gave me on those.)

Anyway, here's the comparison of dispatch damage between you and Aeth:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/j2g1glwvguvsqs7u/analyze/dd/source/?x=spell%3D%22Dispatch%22&s=3666&e=3919

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/zhMcXF7GRy6CNtKZ#type=damage-done&sourceclass=Rogue&pins=2%24Off%24%23244F4B%24damage%240%240.0.0.Any%240.0.0.Rogue%24true%240.0.0.Any%24false%24111240

in whichever of the two log programs you like. 

In terms of addons to indicate 35%...if you were going to only add one addon, I'd suggest learning WeakAuras.  It happens to be one I don't use, but many others do, it's very flexible in terms of what you can set up for many classes, and there are some cut and paste scripts you can feed in for things like this.  I use IceHud because I have for years, it can display execute range warnings.  I also use Xperl as my unit frame display, showing both health and percentage, but I need that because some things go by amounts and some by percentages.

Honesty
High Council

Oh, forgot your macro question.  The macro should work, I use something similar (but without the mouseover part).  I focus the tank before the pull.  The one thing to note: if you don't have a focus set and use it before the boss is pulled, nothing will happen, since the boss isn't targeting something at that time.  Similarly, if the tank (i.e., your mouseover or focus target) is on a mount it will fail, or if a hunter pet is the first thing to get agro.

You really only need to use ToT at the start of a fight or when a bunch of adds appear, they took out the damage increasing part of the ability, so it's just a help to round up mobs.

Dominae

Okay, I think I get most of that.

I have Shadow Reflection macroe'd with Vendetta and Draenic Agility Potion.

The only reason I can thing that SR didn't do any damage the second time would be if I had poor timing popping it. I dont know if you are familliar with it, but It records damage done for 8 seconds and then copies the damage done in that time frame. So the only thing I can think of is if I used it when it went to the son's phase and I stopped dps on boss to switch to adds.

Thanks for the advice on Weak Auras, I have heard of it, but had no idea what it did. I'll play with it a little later today.

In regards to Tricks, the last time up till now that I raided (or played for that matter) extensively was wrath, and I just remember that at that time ToT was the go to for killing aggro. I need to remember to focus tank.

Thanks for the great advice Honesty, really. Super Helpful.

I also wonder if Aeth is gonna chime in on not using Vendetta. Lol

Aeth
High Council

I'm bad about using cooldowns as frequently as I should. There isn't much more to say about that, lol.

I looked for a long time at both Shadow Reflection and Venom Rush, and ultimately opted for the latter for a couple reasons: 1) I hate it when I pop a cooldown at the wrong time, and waste it (something else I'm really good at), and 2) playstyle-wise, I always tend toward the passive, always-on buffs and away from something that adds another ability to remember/macro. I was also hoping it would help boost my numbers a bit while clearing trash, but clearly that hasn't happened - Assassination AOE is pretty weak at the moment, and the only real alternative is tab-target-Rupturing everything in sight.

As far as Tricks goes... I just keep my SimpleTankFrames near the bottom of the screen, next to the Tricks button, so I can easily click-cast (gasp!) it on whoever's appropriate. Or Roenn. :) As Honesty noted, it's really only useful now at the start of a pull, or to help round up adds on the tanks.

I have a couple more thoughts kicking around in my head, since you'd asked for some guidance the other day, but not really the time to jot them down now - I'll follow up a bit this afternoon.

Dominae

Venom Rush is definitely something I considered because I have the same problem with using cooldowns. Like I really wish feint was a buff because It has no cooldown and its super irritating on fights with a lot of AoE damage to shit my attention to keep it up.

Tab target rupture is aweful. I never seem to get the target I want, it always ends up being the mob on the other end of the group.

Just get at me a bit later, you can post up here, or message. No biggie.

Topic locked