Forums > General > Patchesmodsaddons > camera distance

camera distance

Topic List
10 posts / 0 new
Last post
High CouncilOfficer
jonhemlock
Officer Emeritus

I do not like the new camera distance limitations. One thing that can help some is to use a viewport mod. I use CT_Viewport, the current version (pre-patch compatible) of which is available at ctmod.net, but isn't updated on curse quite yet.

If you set the viewport mod to limit the amount of display on the vertical axis, you will see correspondingly more on the horizontal axis, as it does not stretch the graphics. This gives you a marginally wider field of view, but it may help a bit.

A comparison of no viewport mod vs. viewport mod is shown in the shots below. Note that I use it to essentially cover up the part of my screen that I use for chat boxes/bars/mod displays that I don't want to see the game in anyway.

Above image is without viewport. Note the graphics between the chat box and omen window.

Below image is with viewport. Note the lack of graphics in the lower portion, and the slightly wider field-of-view left and right.

Image below just shows that you can keep going if you'd like.

Edited by: Anonymous on 02/18/2017 - 07:00 Reason: Topic autoclosed
AdministratorHigh CouncilOfficer
Honesty
High Council

Interesting.  I used to use ctViewport, I may have to go back to it.  I stopped when it was broken for while, glad they are maintaining it again.

AdministratorOfficer
Turin
Officer

I use the [Sunn - Viewport Artwork] addon. Works great and you can even add artwork if you have some empty space to fill.

High CouncilOfficer
jonhemlock
Officer Emeritus

Yes, Sunn Viewpoint does the same thing with some added options for the artistic amongst us. Slightly less configurable as far as the actual viewport, but with infinitely more options for prettying up your UI.

Honesty
High Council

So, for your amusement:

https://www.wowace.com/addons/maxcam/

I looked through the code.  He's using straight lua code and Blizzard's own API's to do this, so there isn't an exploit or rogue code.  Basically, he takes over the implementation of zooming in and out (something Blizzard allows, some people want faster or slower zooms to happen).  He zooms out by sending Blizzard's own zoom in command a negative number...and since that negative number is always less than the maximum positive number established for zooming out, it happily moves the viewpoint in by any negative number you want...which moves it out.

Expect them to patch this part of their API quickly, and fire one or more uninvolved interns.  I'm not going to bother using it, just to avoid the disappointment when it gets fixed.

Aeth
High Council

That's... actually really incredible that they didn't think to prevent this...

Inomi
Officer Emeritus

Wow. 

Elentur

Blizzard has said they're fixing the exploit, and changing max camera distance to be further out in an upcoming patch/hotfix.

Firemane

FYI, upcoming change to max camera distance:

The CVar has changed to cameraDistanceMaxZoomFactor, so the command you will want to use now is "/console cameraDistanceMaxZoomFactor 2.6". This value should also persist now, so you only need to use the command once.

The slider itself was unnecessary, and has been removed. The default value is set to the max, and very, very few people (if anyone?) used it to reduce their maximum zoom distance. The game's zoom distance will now default to the old maximum value of 1.9 unless changed with the above console command.

Source: http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20749777567?page=2#post-22

AdministratorOfficer
Turin
Officer

Thanks for the update Firemane.

Topic locked