Forums > General > Public Discussion > New Character Models

New Character Models

Topic List
7 posts / 0 new
Last post
AdministratorHigh CouncilOfficer
Inomi
Officer Emeritus

Anyone else check this out yet? They've posted the new models for the human female, and are starting a regular article about what they're doing with the character updates. Looks cool.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/12426480/artcraft-a-first-look-1-23-2014

Honesty
High Council

I liked the fact that pupils were now round rather than hexagons.  They do look nicer without falling into the "uncanny valley", but I was a bit mystified be the additional detail to the ribs and other areas that will generally be covered.  Why bother?  

I look forward to Lierra's comments.  )

AdministratorOfficer
Turin
Officer

I really liked the improvements! More polygons is never a bad thing! There is one thing that bothers me though it may be the lesser of two evils:

The female humans are locked (much like all the other races) into one body type. I much prefer the ability to change this around like in SWTOR, but I think it's somewhat permissable in a game where destinctives within a race are made relatively unimportant by the distinctives of each race (particularly when they are so very different from the generic "humanoid" builds of all the races in SWTOR. However, if you're going to pick a body type, why pear shaped? Is it easier to animate? I mean this seems to be like they made an unintentional graphical consequence into an exagerated graphical feature by "enhancing" the "soul" of the model itself. I don't know, i just feel like the shoulders seem so very small in comparison to the hips.  Perhps the animators have to compensate for the enourmous shouders/pauldrons we all end up wearing, but I'd prefer they just make the shoulder pieces smaller. I can't wait to hear what Ady and Lierra specifically have to say about this.

DeveloperOfficer
Lierra
Officer

I can't imagine any decent artist joining the WoW team and NOT begging to revamp the original models.  However, I'll have to see a lot more than that one face and 3 hair styles to make a real comment.  I am amused and do note in passing that I developed Lierra's original blond-bimbo/ childlike-innocence personality entirely because of the "neutral" - to me, "brain dead" - expression on the face of the original human female model. 

I'm hoping/would like to see at least a LITTLE animation to long hair when moving.  (And not JUST the silly windmill of dwarven women's hair while spell-casting.)  Not having hair animation is why Lierra has the very short hair cut.  There's only so much in the "I find this art annoying" catagory that I can put up with in long-term play... and I've been playing Lierra a very long time (from a video game point of view).  I'd much rather see a little hair movement than, say, that insipid yawn animation human females currently do.  I definitely don't want to see that yawn with more lines and expression!  <sigh>  Wonder if the yawn will fall into the category of "we're trying to retain the essential 'character' while we beef up the polygon count", or if they're willing to toss some animations in favour of some other... like folding arms or placing one hand on a hip.

I agree with Turin that I'd LIKE to have choices in body types or body heights (other than that provided by races), but I seriously doubt that WoW will ever change radically enough to do that.  I don't know the limitations of the underlying tools, albeit, IF the tool was actually designed with the flexibility it LOOKS to have (given the available use of the "same" outfit/gear on all the different races), extending it to slight variation in height and width within a race COULD be do-able.  But I don't know what limits were programmed in to the art tool, so I'm talking completely through my hat here. <wry smile>

Inomi
Officer Emeritus

Lucette pointed this out to me: Moar updated models!

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/295679-character-viewer-updated-female-dwarf/

Officer
Lucette
Officer Emeritus

Sadly this is the first one they've revealed that I just don't like. There is something not quite right with her facial proportions, the body model is fine but they need to go back & take another look at the originals for the face, it's really quite different & the dimensions are off in a way that off putting to me & it seems a fair number of other people.

DeveloperOfficer
Lierra
Officer

<nod> I rather agree, Lucette.  To me the new female dwarf facial proportions are taking their nod from National Geographic "artist renderings" of pre-homo sapiens.  

On the other hand, I saw my first look at the new female orc and can happily say that SHE has moved away from the Homo Erectus look.  The artists are clearly trying out new ways of handling a human face with lower jaw tusks.  In my opinion, the face is a lot livelier and more attractive than the old one.  I like all the hairstyles shown as well; they seem - innovative to me and even reasonable, given that orcs now seem to have Klingon-reminiscent skull ridges.  (Note, I didn't say "Klingon-like".)  Which started me speculating on the evolutionary development of skull ridges.  Did orcs once have horns?  (Don't think so; we've seen ghosts of ancestral orcs.)  Or is the physical structure of their brain different than humans such that, say, the cortex processes that need serious protection are located behind the temples rather than above the eyebrows?  <grin>  LOVE combining biology with art.  <grin>  The female orc also has far more muscle definition in her body than she used to.  Far less cartoon, and far more body-builder.

On a sad note, there's enough detail in the dwarf woman's hair for me to say, no, there won't be proper hair animation.  <sad face>

Topic locked