Forums > General > Public Discussion > Warlords of...

Warlords of Draenor - Expansion Soon?

Topic List
26 posts / 0 new
Last post
AdministratorHigh CouncilOfficer
Inomi
Officer Emeritus

Lucette pointed out this post for its own merit on WoW Insider to me today, and it got me thinking: if they're starting to worry about deadlines, and doing the raid testing and such that they are in the beta...add to that the twitter post today about "nearing the end of development"...I'm starting to think that WoD could be as soon as the end of September. I'm really hopping it is. :)

Anyone else for some random speculation around this subject?

Here's the article Lucette pointed out to me: WoW Insider - Blood Elf Models Delayed

Edited by: Anonymous on 11/25/2014 - 23:32 Reason: Topic automatically locked
Honesty
High Council

They've been scaling back features for a while to make a deadline.  The September date has been brought up a number of times as they date they'd have to meet to have this expansion out on a "shorter" (I.e. The same) time scale as the last, which has been a corporate goal. I don't know, though, they'd have to do their tuning pass before putting 6.0 on the PTR, and they haven't started that or fixed numerous abilities.  

The other date that has been suggested a lot is that they will announce the release date at Blizzcon, but that seems really late. 

Cirne

I'd really rather they fully "bake" the expansion than get it out the door sooner.  *sigh*  Unfortunately I seem to be in the minority on this, both out in the world at large, and within Blizzard. Feh.  I just don't appreciate buggy crap, which is invariably what the initial release of each expansion seems to be.

All you kids get off my lawn.

RAWR!  IMMA BARE!

Administrator
Pyro

Cirne you're not alone on that.  I too am very sick of the lets put it out & fix anything that comes up later attitude that's swept the industry as a whole.  -- However I can kind of understand this as they have to bow to investors "Pre-Orders included as investors"

Than again it's no where near as bad as Day 1 DLC that comes on the media you bought the game on with a chunk of downloads to enable the content.

However it is nice though on how we can easily patch compared to yesteryear.  Games like Ar Tonelico II w/ the optional boss glitch or Super Mario Bros world 1-2 Warp pipe to 0-1 were unable to be patched oh so long ago :(

Aeth
High Council

It really wouldn't surprise me if this pressure to release is coming more from the Activision side of Activision-Blizzard. The Blizzard of old was "infamous" (if you want to call it that) throughout the industry for releasing things when they were done. It's kind of a shame to see that reputation for quality focus fading away.

Inomi
Officer Emeritus

Excerpt from the WorldofWarcraft.com website article (click image above for link):

When: Thursday, August 14 at 9:30 a.m. PDT
Where: Join us on WorldofWarcraft.com to watch the live stream, or attend** the event live at the Theatre at Ace Hotel, located at 929 South Broadway in Los Angeles. (Doors open at 8:30 a.m.)

Live Attendee Bonus: Anyone who joins us live and in person in L.A. will also receive a beta key for Warlords of Draenor.*       

If only I didn't have to be at work that day!!! :'(

Someone tape it for me, will you? ;)

Honesty
High Council

mmo-champion volunteers )

Officer
Lucette
Officer Emeritus

Ooh, I work in the afternoon that day, I hope I remember to watch that :)

Inomi
Officer Emeritus

I'm making sure I have that day off now.

High CouncilOfficer
Gillaguy
Officer Emeritus

Y'all make me grin!  In a GOOD way that is.  

I wish I'd copied the link - I saw something in the last week or so that leads me to believe the release date is going to be much later than we think.  The gist of it was 'the drop dead date for release is 20 Dec 14'.  Something on MMO Champions ... but it actually came as a bit of a relief to me on the one paw as we are trying to fill up our summer enjoying the weather (when you live in Buffalo the out door time is like 5 months long - on a GOOD year).   Of course the other paw is occupied with 'I am tired of pandas' :)

aka Salamis, Annelida , and a few others :)

Inomi
Officer Emeritus

HOW CAN YOU BE TIRED OF PANDAS?!?! we're awesome, after all. :) I hear ya though. So much to do in the real world it's hard to find time for wow sometimes. Still, I'm really hoping it comes sooner than later. And not just because I want to play the new shiny. With the jobs Lucette and I have, if it hits in Nov/Dec... You can kiss seeing us goodbye from the raiding scene until about February. The joys of retail.

Honesty
High Council

The December 20 date comes from the pre-order (judging by the number of boosted 90's, a lot of people bought this).  So it's a date Blizzard put on themselves...not that they'd have any legal repercussions from postponing it, as long as they gave people their money back on request.

If I were them, I'd have picked a date a few months after the planned ship date.  I think they were working towards a September ship date (MoP was launched Sep 23 two years ago), as they have this corporate goal of getting things out faster.  It certainly sounds from stuff I've heard that it will be delayed from that, and I doubt they will give less than a 2 month notice to their retailers at the August 14 announcement.  So somewhere between October 14 (which is a Tuesday) and December 20 (which is a Saturday).

The headache in this is the announcement of the Fabled Molten Core.  (For years, Everquest has brought back upleveled versions of the content released five years previously for anniversaries, and these upleveled mobs have a 'Fabled' adjective.)  I will be very disappointed if we have only 3-4 weeks to see the questing content and level up; either they put in very little content or we have to race through it.  But that means the alternative is not releasing until after the anniversary is over.  They could simply up-level everyone who wants to go (they use that technology in the beta for testing), but that's not how they expressed it in their announcement.

Well, we'll know Thursday.

Firemane

Does that mean that Fabled Molten Core will be ending... too soon?

Honesty
High Council

Good question.  )  I know, I know, you were just channeling Majordomo.  But, Blizz has made some updated posts that they don't have an exact schedule, but you don't have to rush through to do the leveling content in 5 days.  Either the anniversary will be left up for months, or maybe they'll move it into the 6.0 patch...who knows.

Trilana

So we get MC with the 6.0 patch. Good or bad we'll only have a couple of weeks I guess to run it. 11/13/14 is our date. Schedule your vacations days!

Honesty
High Council

The 6.0 patch should be 2-4 weeks before the 11/13 release date.  All I've seen that they've promised so far is a level 90 UBRS and an invasion through the portal (stock up on your Nethergarde bitters!)...have you seen something promising MC with 6.0?

Inomi
Officer Emeritus

Well, to be honest, I'm a little disappointed with this release date. Smack in the middle of the busiest time of year for my work. Oh well, I'll just have to push through and drink lots of Red Bull. :) (Who needs sleep?!?!)

Still, quite a nice little shindig they put together there.Sorry to hear Feore wasn't able to make it in. That would have been epic!

Good to have the Djinn out of the box though! Gonna be a good expansion with lots of interesting things to see and do; and lots of places for Trivial to get together and smack some sense and/or weapons into bosses.

Cheers!

Cirne

I was lookint at the Blizzard site and spotted this.  Had to share it because CORGIS!  MOLTEN CORGIS!  The cute, it burns!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/15107686/gearing-up-to-celebrate-10-years-of-world-of-warcraft-8-6-2014

RAWR! IMMA BARE!

Inomi
Officer Emeritus

That, that...is gonna be awesome! :D

Honesty
High Council

Well, Blizz has now announced the dates for the Fabled Molten Core.  It will run from November 21 through January 6, meaning you have to level to 100 and run MC LFR before Jan 6.  (Note: experience gains are usually turned up in beta, I'd expect leveling to be more like we are used to.)  That's faster than some people normally level, and faster than I'd like to level, but within the range for us.  (For reference, MoP released 9/25 and our first LFR raid was 10/30, but just some exploratory 10 mans in early November.)  The fact that the holidays occur in that time just makes it more difficult.  I wish they'd extend it a couple of weeks more, but at least we all have warning.

Administrator
Pyro

If Ragnaros' eye drops on the first new MC raid I may just throw my keyboard through my TV :)

I'm looking forward to see how they have tweaked it.

Inomi
Officer Emeritus

This is gonna be awesome!!!! And I'm going to be so freaking tired EVERY day this holiday season... Maybe I can skip Christmas this year. ;)

DeveloperOfficer
Lierra
Officer

I can't skip Christmas... or Hannukah.  I'm the one responsible for seeing they happen in my family.

<sigh>

And then I have to arrange for a visit to family in Ohio on or/and before Jan. 10.  (The tickets haven't been bought yet, but you CAN'T fly across country to family and only spend one day!)  AND I MUST have an art project (medieval illumination) finished before that date.  Lotsa arrangements!  Lotsa commitments. 

So I doubt I can manage the leveling that fast.  <sigh>  Sometimes I hate Blizz.  I try very hard not too, though.

I don't think Blizz people know what Real Life is, do they?

Developer
Adyanna

*hug* Totally feel ya Lierra.

Not only am I responsible for Thanksgiving and Christmas for my family but my dad's as well. Plus family coming in town for Thanksgiving, which means possibly hosting my first EVER Thanksgiving dinner.

Oh, yeah and then there's the little deal of Ghouly's 1st birthday the day after Christmas.

No, Blizz has no understanding of life outside of WoW. sad

Inomi
Officer Emeritus

A little (ok, not-so-little) video that I came across overy on WoW Insider. Gives a decent look at some of the many things we're going to see change come patch 6.0: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lkpCwDMdDOo

AdministratorOfficer
Turin
Officer

That was a not-short video. :) But it was worth it to hear her Obama comment. ROFL

Topic locked